Founded by choreographer and educator Shirley Mordine, the Dance Center was established in 1969 to house Columbia College Chicago’s Dance Department. In 1974, the Dance Center established its presenting series to provide students and Chicago audiences with opportunities to experience contemporary dance in a professional setting. The Dance Center moved from Uptown to the current location in the South Loop at 13th and Michigan in 2000. Today, the Dance Center offers a full range of programs designed to enhance and expand the quality and quantity of dance available in Chicago and the Midwest.
Here's just a small sampling of the hundreds of companies we've presented over the past four decades.
- Susan Marshall & Company
- Mordine & Company Dance Theater
- Same Planet Different World Dance Theatre & Peter Carpenter Performance Project
- Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company
- Khecari & The Humans
- CCN Creteil et Val-de-Marne / Compagnie Käfig
- Raphael Xavier
- Cloud Gate Dance Theatre of Taiwan
- Reggie Wilson/Fist & Heel Performance Group
banner image: Giordano Dance Company, photography: Gorman Cook Photography.